Saturday, October 09, 2004

the word from Washington

The word came from Washington; I had to go. Char assured me I wouldn't be coming back; Peace Corps made me pack up all my things to be shipped home if I didn't make it back (I later found out that this was NOT a free service); they came and took everything from my apartment. My boxes, their stove and propane tanks and fire alarm and water filter and all. I was having a noticable hard time at this point, stumbling and limping through my days; the pain was impressive. I hated thinking of leaving - I got all my Armenian friends' addresses; I handed out cards with my address (well, my dad's) and my email on them; I posted a bunch of them on my mailbox at Peace Corps; I got ready to go in the midst of all this uncertainity and pain.


Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001

Hey there boys and girls -

Ok, here's the latest update from the world of Meg: I'll be flying out of Yerevan on November 4th (Sunday), and arriving in DC later the same day (2:20 pm to be precise on flight NW 35 from Amsterdam- though I doubt it will be that precise). Apparently one of those pesky discs has a 'free fragment' that 'may be re-absorbed' - doesn't it all sound like the Balkan wars or something? They may try a walking epidural, or they may go straight for the knife - Peep only knows.

I'll be going from here to Vanadzor, see my host family and come back up to Alaverdi on Sunday. Peace Corps will come pick up my stuff on Wednesday, I'll stay here until Friday morning. At that point I'll go into Yerevan (with the cat - doesn't that sound like fun!), and stay through Sunday morning when PC will bring me to the airport and wash their hands of me. At that point I'll be in the clutches of the Office of Medical Services, until they see fit to release me. Kind of like 'catch and release wild trout', only different. Really different, actually.

Nellie is working on folding cranes for me. So far we've got a hundred and fifty plus. She says 'I don't believe in this, but some one will be very angry if I do it and you don't come back." The karate school is coming to Yerevan to see me off (you have no idea of how big a deal that is here, but I can assure you it's an honor). Everyone is giving me things, which makes me very sad - it feels so final. People are writing letters about what a swell volunteer I am, just in case it will help my case. My mom is coming to meet me at the airport. I get 45 days in America, and then I'm medically separated from the Peace Corps - but I might be able to stretch that time a bit, apply vacation time or go for interrupted service or something. We'll see.

For now, all I can say for sure is I'll be back in the home of the brave and the land of anthrax next Sunday, staying in Arlington. Here's that address for all you fans out there:

Virginian Suites Hotel 1500 Arlington Blvd Arlington, VA o 22209
703-522-9600 (remember jet lag, culture shock, and pain management - I may be a tad stressed. Forgive me)

I am not best pleased. Don't write me off 'til you see the box going in the hole, is what I sez - and you all know what a stubborn little critter I am. So, take heed, you all - I'm only going to be stateside a short while. Shower me with gifts while you can - take the opportunity while it's there!

Love and squalor on all your pointed little heads -

meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home