Saturday, October 09, 2004

later that month....

Peace Corps finally took me in for an MRI - there's one machine in Armenia, located in a tractor trailer in Yerevan; I went in with the Peace Corps medical staff, Dr. Anna and Char. They gave me headphones with Russian music, had me pull down my pants and slide into the machine. The news was bad; I could tell from the technician's face as soon as I got out of the humming tube, and Char (the American staff member, sensitive as always) said ' Well, you got what you wanted, you're going home'. They drove me back to Peace Corps in the white Land Cruiser; I sat in the back with tears sliding down my face.

The films were shipped off to Washington, and I waited on the decision. It took longer than it should hav, because of 9/11 - flights were delayed and cancelled all over the place. I was pretty much in a sustained state of agony at this point, and filled with anxiety about leaving Armenia.


Sat, 29 Sep 2001

Hey you all -

I've written this damn thing three or four times by now and the bloody computer keeps booting me out at the crucial moment and I lose everything - so forgive the lack of style and assume it was there in the first three drafts, ok?

So, I had my MRI and it's not a pretty sight. Three herniated discs - they show up all black on the film, while the other discs are pretty white clouds. PC is talking Med Evac, and possible medical separation, and I am not best pleased. The films go out to Washington on Monday, and I'll know more in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile it's nothing but questions, and no answers. Do I need to pack? What about my cat? What about my kerosene? What happens if I can't come back? What about my projects?

No answers. This is your heads up - clean that spare room out, make up the guest bed, and put the coffee on. Get the half and half stocked up. I'll send you more info as I get it, but get ready for the return of the prodigal daughter. If I have to come home, I'm gonna want sushi, goddammit.

I am SO not pleased.

love

meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home