Sunday, October 03, 2004

raise high the roofbeams

This was my next letter home - 'scheefer' is corrugated roofing material that we had to get from Yerevan., since we had to use aluminum (rather than the usual cheap asbestos). There was really nothing for me to do once we got the grant money and started the work - everything just swung along nicely. I kept an eye on the work, shot copious photos but though the staff and the students did a lot of the work, I wasn't allowed to lift a finger. It went like a dream.

The children's aid program was the Alaverdi Family Center, and it was just about as corrupt as they come.

May 26th, 2001

Ok, the scheefer is on site and I met with the children's aid organization. THAT was frustrating, to say the least. I did manage to get a list of prescriptions needed for glasses and hearing aids - I'll get that out today. Which doesn't mean it will go out today, of course - sometimes the mail sits at the post a while before it actually gets in the system. As for anything else - well, I'm going to need to work with the organization for a couple of months and see what they're really doing before I can make recommendations. I've no doubt that there's a real and desperate need, but I can't say how well these people are addressing it. They were all over me for a grant - for computers and a TV and a copier (o, Kinko's!). PCV as cash cow - it's a fairly common perception, but one that never fails to irritate me. From what I can tell now, they have a fairly nice space (zippo handicapped access, but that's normal in Armenia, alas and alack), and have gotten a fair amount of aid from other organizations (sports equipment, one older computer, clothes, etc.) but I'm still fairly unclear on what they're actually doing, aside from identifying children at risk and then classifying them in one of five groups (mental/physical handicapped, extreme poverty, one or both parents missing, beggars, and general JDs). Are they running classes? Providing medical help? What are they really doing for these 300 children - and is any of it self sustainable, is any of it working to solve the root problems? Do children actually come there, is the center used by the target population? I've got my doubts, but only the time will tell.

It's going to take a couple of months at least before I have any answers. As I said, there's definitely need - I just don’t know if this center is addressing it. It's discouraging - I was really hoping to be able to work with them, and now I'm sitting here with this bag full of doubts and questions, and a huge chunk of skepticism sitting on my shoulder. I just hate it when people start in by asking for grants - for TVs and computers, for god's sake. Ok, computers you can always justify somehow - but TVs?!? And they were not happy when I questioned that, not happy at all. As for computers - there are better ways to go about it than grants, if you really need computers. Such as the aid organization I'm working with to get computers for the Akner village school. Myself, I'm still thinking it would be a better idea to start raising chickens or tasty little bunnies, or to plant a community garden, or start some sort of co-op. I just can't see the pressing need of computers for the kids that are out there begging for their bread. First, you've got to feed the little buggers, take care of their immediate needs. Then you can work towards the future, by all means - but get them fed and clothed first, figure out a system for that. But computers are the 'hot’ thing now (as are grants) - everyone wants them, no matter the need.

Yeah, and stupidity is a sin against the Holy Ghost, and the poor are always with us, and no matter how badly the idiots outnumber you - they're still the idiots. Thank god for karate - that's coming right along, on time and under budget, believe it or not. I am most pleased. The wonderful thing about these people is that they have never ever asked me for money, never asked me for a computer or a copier or a grant - I've never even been able to pay for classes there. They're out there every day working with what they have, the damp building and the ceiling that drops bits and pieces on us on a daily basis, the floor giving way underfoot - and they truly love what they're doing, they love their work and the children. They're not waiting for anything or anyone, they're doing their work regardless.

Enough to give you hope, ain’t it just?

further notes:


The money came through, the bank took $50.00 as some sort of commission and we still didn't get a toaster. I don't understand the banking system here - do they want business, or are they intent on driving it away? We also lost on the exchange rate, and I'm a bit worried about that - though at the moment it looks like we're still going to pull it off somehow. We've put down deposits on some of the work (carpentry, window bars, etc), 6 cubic meters of (very) rough cut wood has been delivered to the school, and Varton & Armen are going into Yerevan today to pick up the scheefer (rhymes with 'reefer', roofing material. Non asbestos.).

I'm also meeting with the children's aid organization today - finally!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home